Saturday we participated in a Russian Banya, we blogged about what we anticipated it would be, so let me make a few clarifications, corrections and additions. There were 12 of us that participated, we started out by going to a private room which has a big recreation area, a sauna room, a shower/bucket area, a changing room, and a bathroom. We changed in to shorts and then
went in to the sauna--the hottest sauna I have ever been in. There are 3 tiers, the higher up you sit the hotter it gets, so we were staying on the bottom tier. After working up a good sweat we went out to the shower/bucket area and you pull a chain and the bucket dumps ice cold water on your head, to cool you down! Then you run back to the sauna to warm back up. Then someone comes in and beats you with Banya branches (oops not a banya tree!), which are actually Birch tree branches.
We took lots of breaks and ate a bunch of great snacks in the rec room (fruit, chips, soda, chocolate, Kvoss {Russian drink}, and cookies).
Sunday we met with our translator to give her paperwork for Lukes visa and passport, yipee! Then we went to the Goldman's for dinner. Their friends from church came over and the husband, Igor, made homemade borscht--yummy!
Unfortuntately, I (Danette) caught a cold over here. We visited Kostya today, he was expecting us, so I tried to stay back and let Papa do all the feeding, playing and hugging! No small feat! We are going to wait to visit again 'til Thursday, so hopefully I will get well by then--and not pass it to Mark.
Enjoy the photos from our last few days--keep the comments coming we love them!
10 comments:
Robb Family,
I'm praying today for you- that your trip back would be blessed from start to finish, the plane ride smooth, that you would be able to communicate with your son and he with you and that it would be a FUN and memorable experience for you. I pray you have everything you need- not too much to bog you down, or too little so you are in great need of something- but that in everything you would feel the incredible arm of the Father holding you close, directing your steps, guiding you, loving you and protecting you from anything you may encounter on your trip home.
Blessings to you!
Debbie S
Hi Mark, Danette, & Luke:
Looks like you had a great time at the sauna. I sure wouldn't want that bucket dumped on me. Very cold and icy here. About an inch of ice on everything and very slick. With more coming. I know you can't wait to get home and we are all counting the days that you bring Luke home. May God bless all of you and keep you safe and happy. Danette, have gotten the box of goodies yet? Love to all of you.
Mom & Dad
Hannah has had me show her the video of "Aunt Nette getting wet" now more times that I can count.
I cannot even go to our rec center in the winter time to swim!! So, does not look like fun but another interesting experience to relate.
Get some of those recipes so we can have them at a Robb get-together.
Hope your cold is better soon. Yes, we know how hard that was. No hugging!! Still praying for safety. Love, Mim & Dad Robb
Hi Mark and Danette!
I just heard about your blog from Rachael and have been enjoying reading about everything that has been happening, with lots of tears rolling down my cheeks. What a great story you will have to tell Luke when he is older about everything you went through so he could be with you. What a testimony it will be also to compare to the great things God did for us in Christ so that we could be with Him.
Praying for you and Luke.
Love,
Piper
I LOVE the video. I giggled and watched it three times! LOL. Brrrr!
Wow! It sure looks like you are making the most of your time there! You've been able to do some really cool things. I'm pretty jealous of you getting to see The Nutcracker performance. It's my favorite ballet!
I love the pics of you and Luke walking in the snow together.
Prayer day was great, thanks for joining us. I can't wait for our turn!!
Blessings,
Penny
Has anyone else noticed that as soon as the Robbs got their son, they quit posting on their blog quite as often? New parents! Sheesh, I tell you....
Mark and Danette, God has used you mightily, increasing the prayer of so many, and reminding us daily that we NEED him, that we are nothing without him, and that we have nothing without him. Thank you for your grace as you glorified Him who saves. The world will be blessed by Luke, as he is raised by you, God's servants.
We love you, the Schneiders
Oh my goodness. Did you have to get naked for the banya experience?? It sounds like torture to me -- ice dumped on you after a hot steam??? What an adventure you are having. Not to mention the extra special keepsake you'll be bringing home!:) If there a time that Luke will move out of the orphanage during your stay? Or will that happen when you board the plane home? I continue to pray for your happiness and health and mostly give thanks for the greatest joy you'll ever experience -- your son!!!! Come home soon! Love, Rosemary
Thank Our Dear Lord, welcome home Danette, Mark and beautiful Baby Luke. What a beautiful Christmas story you have shared with all of us. I am overwhelmed with love and joy and I know that Heather has been with you all the way. Of course I spoke of all your adventures, trials and tribulations while in Washing DC with my son Tony and wife to be Amy. They send great joy, love and prayers your way, as do all that I tell this Christmas story to. You have been so blessed in so many ways and rightly so. Your faith, love of each other and loving, giving and caring you have given to so many has truly come full circle to you. Oh the power of prayer and love. God Bless and keep you safe and happy. God brought you and Mark to my daughter and our family. I will pray and thank God the rest of my life for that. With love,in God We Trust always your friend Kathy "MoM Crea
Post a Comment